- 3 large garlic cloves
- 175 g unsalted butter, softened
- 55 g fresh parsley chopped
- 2 kg live mussels
- salt and pepper
- Place the garlic cloves on a board and flatten with the blade of a knife. Add a large pinch of salt and crush to a paste. Beat the paste in to the butter in a bowl, add the parsley and season with pepper. Shape into a cylinder, wrap in grease proof paper and chill in the refrigerator.
- Scrub the mussels under cold running water, and pull off the beards. Discard any broken shells or open ones that do not shut immediately when tapped sharply with the handle of a knife
- Preheat the grill. Push the tip of a small sharp knife between each mussel shell on the straight side. Run the knife around between the shells, then ease back the top shell. Run the knife around the inside edge of the top shell, pull it back and snap it off.
- Arrange the half shells in a single layer in a flameproof dish. Dot the mussel flesh with butter. Cook under the grill fro 5-9 mins, or until the mussels are lightly browned and the butter has melted. Serve immediately